Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kale Me Crazy


Continuing on with my greens kick, I made a summer dish for friends the other day. This recipe is my go-to when it comes to kale (see kale health benefits in 'Lean, Green, Beauty Queen') it's easy, fresh and packed with vitamins and minerals. I didn't have much time to prepare, so I served it with cold leftover quinoa from the night before and one of the girls brought over some white wine. It was a blast and great to catch up!

Kale Me Crazy
2 bunches of raw kale (any kind-I used curly kale this time)
1/2 small lemon
2 tbs. (or more) extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic crushed (optional)
1 tsp crushed red pepper 
Pinch of sea salt
Parmesan-Reggiano cheese to taste (optional)

Serves 4
Remove the vein (middle) of the kale and chop up the remaining leaves. In a large bowl add kale, garlic, olive oil, lemon and sea salt. Mix. Gradually add crushed red pepper and cheese if desired, taste as you go! A lot of people think this recipe tastes like a Caesar salad when cheese is added. I like using Reggiano because of its strong flavor, a little goes a long way! Serve cold if possible. Don't worry about making extra, kale doesn't wilt so you can save it for a few days! Refrigerate and store leftovers in air tight tupperware. 

Quinoa
Cook as instructed on package (you can serve it warm or cold-it saves pretty well too). I mix in a little olive oil and sea salt for added flavor before serving. Serve under kale salad. 

I cannot tell you how many times I've made this kale/quinoa combo, with all kinds of kale. It is one of my favorite meals to have before a night out (minus the garlic!). Its filling enough so you aren't drinking on an empty stomach, but won't make you feel like you're about to pop out of your dress (ah-how nice). xo

No comments:

Post a Comment